Saturday, February 03, 2007

Changing the battery in my Korg T1


I like to play the keyboard and bought a used Korg T1 about a year ago. Recently the battery went out and it lost all of it's programing. Ofcourse I did not have the original factory disk so I went on E-Bay and paied something like 12 bucks for the disk (which I'm sure cost the guy about 75 cents to copy). I also looked online to find instructions on how to change the battery and never really found anything that great so I thought I would document the steps here in case some one is lucky enough to stumble onto it here.

1.) First thing you need to do is buy a new battery. Hopefully you're lucky enough to see this post before you pay 10,20,or $300 (yes people were trying to sell them for $300) for a CR2032 battery that you can buy at your local Walmart or Radio Shack. Believe me there is nothing special about this battery, it is a common battery that you can pick up for a couple bucks.
2.) Once you have the battery, get yourself a decent medium sized screwdriver and remove three screws from the bottom of the T1. On my T1 these were the only three screws with washers. There is one on each end and one in the middle.
3.) The T1 is largely made out of wood with the buttons and LCD display on a black medal panel. Once you have the screws out, this medal panel will lift up from the front. It is hinged from the back. Once you lift this up you will see something like the top left picture.
4.) The batter is under the middle circuit board. You need to be able to remove this circuit board. There are 3 screws in the back near the PCM Card slot and one in between the O and R in KORG. Removing these 4 screws and three addional screws on the circuit board will free it from the chassis.
5.) While the board is now free there are still at least half a dozen ribbon cables restricting it's movement. You will need to remove some of these to be able to flip the circuit board to get to the battery. I recommend removing the two from the front and two from the left of the board.
6.) Once you are able to flip the board you will see the battery which I have circled in red in the top right picture. Simple remove the battery from the battery holder and replace it with the new one.

Viola you are done. You just need to put your keyboard back like you found it and reload you factory settings.

17 comments:

mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aaron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
IndyStef said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Thanks for this. Just replaced my battery and all Korg T1 back to normal!

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Todd,
The number on the battery in my T-1 Korg was CR 2032 not CR 3032
and I believe I have to solder the battery back in place
Thank you for taking the time to post this. You made it possible for me to avoid $150 or more and a few weeks of waiting.

Tommy

Todd Zerbe said...

Thanks Tommy, I updated the battery number. I did not have to solder mine. There was a battery holder that the battery would slide in and out of. Perhaps some are different based on the mfg year.

Unknown said...

Hey Todd,

I've enjoyed my T-1 for over 20 years and kept it in mint condition including some pricey professional battery changes.

You finally gave me the courage to pick up a screwdriver and tackle the job myself. Great instructions--it was a piece of cake! The 'ole T-1 is like new again.

Thanks!

migebo said...

Hello Todd,
thank you for your pics! I have bought a T-1 yesterday for 78 € and I have to change the battery and the backlight for the display - and one of the keys is a little tired...laying down ;-)
I have done the same on a Wavestation one year before and so I'm not afraid doing this job.
People like you help other people to avoid money and time, so
THANK YOU !
Michael, Bonn, Germany

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this article. I just followed your instructions and I change the battery of T1 without difficulty.

thank you again
Pierre
google translation

Unknown said...

Thanks for your helpful instructions. Where can I get a set up disc?

Unknown said...

Merci, je ne savais vraiment pas comment faire... Il est comme neuf!

jojo said...

UN BLOG DONNANT LE PAS SUR LA TECHNICITE DU PRBLE DES PILES BOUTONS TRES POLUANTES ET DONC A NE JAMAIS JETER DANS L4ENVIRONNEMENT§§
MERCI!!!

Unknown said...


I Really like your good infomation,Thanks
and please keep sharing it with us.
Visit us:Buy Solar Battery in Online | Battery Dealers in Bangalore

Unknown said...

SUPER HELPFUL THANK YOU!!!

Bruce Ross said...


Hello Todd
Thanks for the help !
This is a great and helpful instruction blog entry .
Many thanks since the Korg T 1 is for me one of the finest
88 weighted key piano beds /assembly set in my experience .
Many thinks again
Bruce R Morgan
Project Lodestar Sagas film series in
post production

Unknown said...

Thanks Todd - super helpful post enabled me to replace battery without issue!

Sam